Saturday, May 16, 2009

Thesis-related story

- - -
(Saturday morning 2009.05.16... I was on the phone with one of my thesis supervisors, i.e. the one who's been the most helpful with my thesis work)

[...]
Me: Does 3pm today sound good?
Dr. Silver Mage: Sure, I'll be in my office.
Me: I told [Prof. Moon Mage] that you looked over everything except the last section.
Dr. Silver Mage: Okay... Ohh! Remind me to tell you a funny story when I see you.
Me: Ahaha sounds exciting!
[...]

(3pm, in Dr. Silver Mage's office)

Me: So you were going to tell me a funny story.
Dr. S: Ah... what was the context?
Me: We were talking about the last section of my thesis.
Dr. S: Ohh! I remember. Okay... so this was in early spring of 1974? 75? I was co-supervising a project about switch capacitors with Prof. A (the one w/ a room named after him) because he asked me to. So I read over what the student wrote, and it really wasn't up to [insert my school name] standard... I told him a list of things to do and asked him to come see me every week.
Me: Okay.
Dr. S: That was the last time I ever saw him!
Me: O_O seriously??
Dr. S: The funny part is, at the end of term, I bumped into Prof. A. And I asked him, whatever happened to so-and-so's thesis? And he told me that he signed it - because I've seen it! i.e. I've read over everything except the last section...
Me: XD Oh wow....... I'm very curious about what that student wrote!
Dr. S: Me too! Man...
Me: I wonder where he is now...

(Later I told this story to my suitemate. We decided that he must have been doing fairly well at least at some point, considering the level of daring con that he pulled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment